Tuesday, February 1, 2011

!~*Boredom Busters~*!

Well it seems Like I may be spending some extra time indoors with my kiddos, these next couple of days. No fear, I have a plan!
If you are like me, and don't want to listen to...Mario brothers, barbie movies, bickering siblings, and the ever present, "mom I'm hungry"...(translated...mom I'm bored)...Then its time to get creative!
Here are 5 great ways to break up the ever so long day, when you are trapped in a snowball:)

#1) Snowflakes!...yes I know, very obvious, but I am not talking about white ones you cut out of the computer paper. I am referring to "Extreme Snowflake Making"...hahaha...such a nerd I am I know...OK here you go: Start with colored paper, tin foil, left over scrapbook paper, wax paper, pretty much any paper you can cut through. Then you (the adult) cut them into various size circles, and let your kids use the crazy scissors,(that is what we call decorative scissors we use for scraping) or just safety scissors if they are really young,  to cut out the little shapes. Then you can stick them to the window, onto a big poster board, hang them individually by strings from the ceiling, string them into a garland, or tack them to your cork board..(or refrigerator if you are one of those..)
I know what you are thinking "what a mess!"
 But here is a tip~**After they are all done, use some masking tape, or painters tape, and wrap it around their little hands with the sticky side out, and let them crawl all over the floor picking up the little scraps with their sticky, they love it, and its less bending down for you! Just sweep up the rest.
This is what my bedroom looked like for a while as a teenager!...ahh...good times....


#2)Make a doodle. Again, lets take this to the extreme! I want my kids occupied for a good while. I use a large piece of card stock and since they are still young I do the lines for them, then give them the markers, colored pencils, crayons, whatever, to fill in all the spaces. Rules! No blank spaces can be left, and no boring solid color only...use patterns, lines, small pics,etc...to create a real one a kind piece! Here is an example of one we did recently....


If you are not the doodling type, try doing a silly painting with your kids or by yourself! Here is the rule, No paint brushes allowed! We have painted with toothbrushes, sponges, fingers, paperclips, ribbon, forks, straws, window scrapers, potatoes...I think tomorrow I will paint something with a shoe....I love the challenge:) here Is a painting I did with just a fork, knife and spoon...



#3) Time to get organized! Don't let all this time in doors be put to waste, Start weeding out the kids clothes  and shoes that are to small, or toys they don't play with, and put them into bags, or totes, and label them for the next garage sale or mom2 mom sale:)This is a huge time saver when you are getting ready for a sale. I even price all the clothes I plan to sell, right when I put them in the sale tote:) Anything you are not planning to sell goes in a bag, that immediately gets placed in the trunk of your car and driven to the , goodwill, free store, salvation army or consignment place, at your earliest convenience!
I am so done looking at this!



#4)Put up the Tree! By this time you are really going to think I am crazy...Get out a Christmas tree...(this will only work if you do artificial, and have a few just sitting around your basement like I do..) I would use a small 3ft, or less...totally up to you. String some lights on that bad boy, and have the kids, MAKE decorations, ornaments, paper chains etc...to trim it with. Than take pictures of them with the finished product. Since Valentine's day is coming up we would decorate for that!

you can go big...
or Small....
Its always a fun time!!

#5) Snow Ice Cream!!!!!! So Easy.... Follow these instructions to create your own snow ice cream treat.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Ingredients:
  • 1 cup of milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/2 cups sugar
  • CLEAN Snow
Preparation:
Go outside and get 4 - 5 cups of fresh, clean snow. Don't pack the snow! Bring it in the house and set it in the freezer until you need it. Mix together the milk, vanilla, and the sugar. Stir this mixture until the sugar is dissolved. Slowly add the snow to your mixture, stirring constantly, until it is as thick as ice cream! Eat up!
 
 
OK now I know that there is going to a percentage of people that will still feel unmotivated by the cold and want to stay in bed...alright this is for you....
**Bonus**
#6) Have a pajama Party Day...Let your kids stay in their jammies. pick out movies, pop some corn, and cuddle with you lovies all day!!! My youngest Gwennie Loves PJ Day! She puts dress ups over the jammies and gets all fancy with it~
 
Have a great Snow day everyone!!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment